A panda's diet is 99% bamboo. Their digestive system is bad and it can't hold onto the nutrients from the food so it eats about 38 kilograms of food. A panda, unlike what many people think, is not an herbivore. It is an omnivore because it also eats small mammals. This is why its diet is only 99% bamboo. The other 1% is of small mammals. Therefore, pandas are omnivores and eat more than just bamboo.